Saturday, February 18, 2012

Milestones

So this was a big milestone week for me -- 64 years old this week. "Will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm sixty-four."  It is natural, I think, to take stock of one's life on milestone birthdays.  I am a little depressed when I take stock.  You would think that 64 years would be enough time to get your life together, wouldn't you?  And here I am a physical, emotional, spiritual, intellectual wreck, spending entirely too much time in front of a computer, book, or television (occasionally all three.)  I believe I am in crisis.    I mean ther( are virtually none of the 7 deadly sins that are unknown to me.  I am most intimately familiar with Gluttony and Sloth, but I certainly have more than a passing acquaintance with Pride and Wrath.


So what does that mean?  I really am not sure.  I really want to believe that I can turn this around.  I would like to think I can get my eating under control; I would like to think I can become more active; I would so like to be able to control my irrational rage (and subsequent guilt); I want to become closer to God.  Actually, mostly I want to become closer to God.  I could stand to be fat for the rest of my life, if only I felt God approved of me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment